The Shredded Schrader

March 9, 2010

Complaint filed with the MBTA

Filed under: Journalism,Vigilantism — Danimal @ 4:56 pm

The following was submitted via the MBTA’s support form.

Hello,

At around 8:45am today (March 9), bus number 0199 came to an abrupt halt in the street, next to (but not in) the Dawes Island Park bus stop. The driver then negligently let the passengers off while parked in the street (again, outside the bus stop; in the middle of the lane). This caused the passengers to almost collide into several cyclists who were (legally) passing to the side of the bus as the law permits given a single lane and adequate room.

I have been assured that the MBTA cares about the safety of its passengers. I look forward to seeing this promise put into motion.

I sincerely thank you for your time. We have a mutual interest here and I am glad we can work together for it.

I hope to hear from you in regards to this incident,
[Danimal]

8 responses to “Complaint filed with the MBTA”

1. Lisa says:

Hi Danimal,

You should have passed the bus on the LEFT. A vehicle always passes another vehicle on the left.

Peace, Lisa

2. Danimal says:

There are a few ways that bicycles are different from other vehicles. One is that we can pass or ride to the right of another vehicle _while in the same lane, given enough room.

3. Alex says:

MGL 85.11B says “the bicycle operator may keep to the right when passing a motor vehicle which is moving in the travel lane of the way.” http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/85-11b.htm If a bus or car is stopped, you may not pass it to the right. Cambridge, and perhaps other localities, explicitly prohibits passing a bus to the right when it’s at a bus stop.

Practically speaking, the bus is doing a lot to reduce the number of vehicles competing with you for space on the road. It’d be polite to cut the driver and passengers some slack since it’s very difficult for the bus to pull into and out of many bus stops because they’re too small.

4. Danimal says:

In fairness, as I described, the bus was not at a bus stop. If it were at a bus stop I would be taking different sides. However, it was in the middle of the street.

5. Danimal says:

And don’t get me wrong, I’m a HUGE supporter of public transportation. I am just for it being regulated. If the bus drivers aren’t safe, if they are just dropping people off in the street away from bus stops, then they aren’t being safe. There is no excuse for putting people in danger. This was not a “too small” situation, though I hear the complaint. I definitely agree that is a major problem. The 83 has several stops that are barely even marked. I was run off the road recently, not realizing that I was driving by a place where it was going to stop. Until it started to merge into me I was entirely unaware.

6. Danimal says:

And thank you for your feedback, I am posting these complaints for just that reason. I’d rather be caught being wrong then continue being wrong and making an ass out of all of us.

7. grimlocke says:

Let’s be realistic. If you ride a bike, you pass stopped vehicles on the right. There is zero reason that bicycles should not be allowed this option. The only negative is that it puts the cyclist in danger of getting doored by people who are exiting their vehicle while in traffic, which we all know is a Dick Move.

I have never, EVER seen a cyclist stopped in traffic unless there is zero room to pass the gridlock on either side of the lane. If you DO stop next to cars in stopped traffic, props to you, because you’re the only one. Or you’re lying. Don’t be that guy.

Buses are required to keep passengers inside the vehicle until the bus is stopped at a designated bus stop. This is important to keep passengers safe from oncoming traffic and to allow traffic to pass the bus. If a bus driver DOES let passengers off while in traffic, that is an infraction against the regulations set by the MBTA, and that driver should be reported and reprimanded.